Faithfulness During the Season of Waiting

 








                I felt it on my heart today to write in depth on the struggles of the dreaded season of waiting. As we journey through life, there is always that time period where we are forced to sit back and wait for that unknown next chapter of our lives. During these seasons our minds naturally fix themselves on the outcomes we are longing to see unravel. Some common examples of waiting include:

 - Waiting to get that acceptance letter from your dream college

- Waiting for that special someone/getting through the "talking" phase

- Waiting to hear back on medical related results for yourself or for a loved one

- Waiting to hear back on a desired opportunity

- Waiting for a current season of your life to be over

- Waiting to adjust to a new environment

            There are countless seasons of waiting a person can go through. The reality is that we will ALWAYS be waiting for something. I remember Covid being a season of waiting for many people. Everyone was waiting to see if life would ever get back to normal. During that time I was also facing my parents separation and waiting to find out if I would have to move out of my home or if my family would be okay financially. Not knowing any answers was a constant battle, and my impatience caused me to hold bitterness towards everyone involved. Jeremiah 29:11 is a very common Bible verse I would often hear growing up. Looking back I just never knew how powerful that verse really is. I wish that I had applied it to that specific season of my life more.

                     "For I know the plans I have for you, declares the Lord, plans for welfare and not for evil, to give you a future and a hope." (Jeremiah 29:11)

            I went through other seasons since then, both big and small. This summer has been a season of waiting as well. Over a month ago I left the college that helped grow me as a person behind for the summer. Before I left my first year of college behind God opened up doors to opportunities that I won't be able to explore further until the next school year starts in August. I often find myself anxious over the things I don't know. What if this doesn't work out? What if I am getting excited for nothing? What if I'm just not good enough for this? Every season of waiting brings a series of "what ifs."

            I loved my first year of college so much. I made friendships I didn't have before college, and I was surrounded by a whole community of people who uplifted and encouraged one another's faith. This was definitely a wonderful season of life that God blessed me with. He knew that I needed that season of growth. But now I am home for the summer, back to living a life similar to how I was living before college. That environment I grew used to is not around me right now. For now, I am home with barely any friends around and mainly working twelve-hour shifts. I don't have the Bible studies or the worship nights I once had to help boost my faith. 

            But what I have had to realize is that this summer is not a "pause" from my faith. Even though it may be a season where I'm working a job and waiting to return to my college world, God has still been working himself through my life this summer. He wants me to feel his presence everywhere I go in life, not just at my Christian University. The reality is that college will only be a couple years of my life out of probably fifty more. It's a season that will pass, and my faith will be put to the test. Will I still be happy with who I am in Christ even after I graduate college and I'm out in the real world? Is it my college that has allowed my faith to flourish, or was it God?  These are questions I've had to ask myself this summer. 

                "To everything there is a season, and a time to every purpose under the heaven: A time to be born, and a time to die; a time to plant, and a time to pluck up that which is planted; A time to kill, and a time to heal; a time to break down, and a time to build up; A time to weep, and a time to laugh; a time to mourn, and a time to dance; A time to cast away stones, and a time to gather stones together; a time to embrace, and a time to refrain from embracing; A time to get, and a time to lose; a time to keep, and a time to cast away; A time to rend, and a time to sew; a time to keep silence, and a time to speak; A time to love, and a time to hate; a time of war, and a time of peace." (Ecclesiastes 3:1-8)

             Every season of life is precious, including the long and boring summers. We have to face that one day we will all die. I just turned nineteen years old and still have so much life ahead of me, but it will go by fast. When I die, I want to enter God's kingdom knowing that in some way I carried out God's legacy for my life, which is to be a disciple for him. My ultimate purpose while I am living this life is to shine God's love into this world, even during seasons of waiting. I will always be waiting for something. But that doesn't mean that I can't live in the moment even in the midst of waiting. However, this is a struggle for those who easily become anxious over the things they don't know. During these times of not knowing what is to come, there is one mindset I have that helps during every period of waiting.

                        "Wait for the Lord; be strong, and let your heart take courage; wait for the Lord!" (Psalm 27:14)

           In your seasons of waiting don't wait for worldly things to reveal themselves, because chances are they may not. Instead wait for the Lord to reveal these things to you, and the outcomes he presents will make far more sense to you because you will be aware that God allows everything to happen for a reason. 

           But ultimately, his promise to return and put an end to all sin and brokenness is worth waiting for above all other things!


- With Love, 

Emma

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

God Says You Are....

Focusing on the Truth

Counting Your Blessings