Flesh vs. Spirit

 








                My first year of college has just recently come to a close. It was a year full of ups and downs. Friendships were made and friendships were lost. New passions were discovered, and between 10-15 pounds were gained. My freshman year of college flew by fast. I was able to get my first glimpse of the adult world and taste the freedom that it brings. Going to bed whatever time of the night I wanted to and being able to do whatever I wanted without having a parent to tell me what to do made the sudden change in my life even better (however, I still made sure that I made good choices!!!!). 

            When I reflect on who I was last August, I remember moving into my freshman dorm without a clue in the world on what I was doing. Would I make friends? Would I be more actively involved with the campus more than I was in high school? Would I meet my husband here? I think these are questions that all new college students have. I started college as a biology major with plans to pursue a career as a veterinarian. I had just recently truly given myself over to Christ after searching for him for a very long time. My parents divorce had just been finalized. My grandmother, who I had stopped talking to after events that had happened previously was sick and in her last days of life. I was overwhelmed with guilt and determined to make peace with her before she died. 

          Now it's nine months later and my life changed in ways that I never expected it to. A month into my first semester I realized that biology just was not the major for me, and as much as I adore animals being a vet wasn't the path for me either. The problem was that I had no idea on what else I wanted to do with my life, and I felt like I was running low on time. As I was debating on what to pursue during my remaining college years, I was also dealing with family related issues at the same time. Mental health is a major issue in my mother, and it has influenced my life and the rest of my family in so many ways. My grandmother passed away in October, but by the grace of God I was able to see her one last time. I remember giving her a long hug and promising her that I would do whatever I could to help my mother, her daughter. She was unable to speak back, but she squeezed me tight to tell me that she heard me. I was able to make peace with her, and I know for a fact that she is in heaven now and in no more pain. These events prompted me to switch from a biology major to a psychology major. I still have no idea on what I am going to do as a psychology major, but I believe it is in God's will for me to pursue a career involving mental health. He wants me to show others that with him, there is a way out of their sufferings.

          I stepped out of my first year of college as a psychology major, baptized, and hungry for the Lord. I built many fruitful relationships with others that I never had before college, and they point me to the cross. Now I get the privilege of leading a Bible study when I return to campus for the next school year. I still sometimes ask myself how the heck this all happened in less than a year. I know one thing is for certain, this was not my own doings at all. 


                "Likewise, the Spirit helps us in our weakness. For we do not know what to pray for as we ought, but the Spirit himself intercedes for us with groanings too deep for words." (Romans 8:26)


            I remember countless times throughout my life when I would want something so bad, I became obsessed with getting it. The things that I was desiring just felt right to have. When I learned that I wouldn't be getting them like I wanted I would go through some sort of grieving season before deciding to pick myself back up and move on. The more I chase the Lord, the more I am able to look back and see that I didn't get that thing I wanted at the time for a reason. I may have wanted it then, but would I have been happy with it in the future? I am not able to see the future, so there is no way for me to tell if something will benefit me later or not. During my senior year of high school, I was set on living at home and attending community college for a couple of years. However, I know that was not part of God's plan. He blessed me with an opportunity and a push to go to college, and as hard as it was, I decided to listen. Now I can look back and see that taking that step has benefited me far more than community college would have. I never would have known if I hadn't followed the Lord's plan.

          The point I am trying to make here is that I had no idea on what I was doing, but God did. Think of all the desires that you have, and pray over them. Instead of asking God to give you these desires, instead ask: "God, is this what YOU desire for me?" 


               "For those who live according to the flesh set their minds on the things of the flesh, but those who live according to the spirit set their minds on the things of the spirit." (Romans 8:5)


            Living according to the flesh is living for worldly things that don't guarantee us anything compared to what the Spirit gives us. When praying over fleshly desires there are two different mindsets to choose from:


        The Flesh Mindset:

- You pray to God like he's a genie that grants wishes. (ex: "God, I pray that you will give me this desire."

- You pray to God and ask him to grant you your desires, which is not necessarily a bad thing. However, everything falls apart for you if God does not give you what you wanted. You were so set on getting that thing you had devoted prayer to it felt like a slap on the face when God told you "No."

- Because you were so addicted to the fleshly desire, you just can't seem to move on without it. It may also influence the way you view the Lord.

- You just struggle to grasp onto the reality that God didn't just not give you what you wanted to be mean or because he didn't love you. The desire just wasn't what he wanted for you, and he has a better idea. You just can't see this because of your "flesh mindset."

- The "flesh mindset" is a selfish and worldly mindset.


The Spirit Mindset:

- You pray for your desires, but you also ask for God's opinion in your prayers. (ex: "God, I pray that you will grant me this desire only if it is in your will.")

- When you're praying for your desires, it's almost like a journey you and God are going on together. 

- If what you were praying for turns out to not be God's will for you, you'll have an easier time recovering because you were aware that you weren't guaranteed to get that desire. You had asked God if it was in his will, and it just wasn't.

- Even if you didn't get what you desired, you know that in time you will see that God had a better plan all along. You completely trust that he knows you better than you know yourself.  


          To keep your heart and mind protected, the best mindset that you can have is the mindset of the spirit. Your desires will fail you if you center your attention only on them, but if you focus your mind on the Holy Spirit your desires can become beautiful things.


                    "For the one who sows to his own flesh will from the flesh reap corruption, but the one who sows to the Spirit will from the Spirit reap eternal life." (Galatians 6:8)

      

          Nothing good comes out of only having faith in the flesh. You can chase your desires all throughout your life, but the reality is that they will never satisfy you eternally. That dream job, that relationship, that opportunity, they will all die with your flesh. It's quite a large pill to swallow. 

        But while flesh dies, the Spirit will live on forever. By choosing the Spirit you are guaranteed an eternal life that will satisfy your soul far more than the seasonal desires that you have here on earth.



- Hope ya'll have an amazing summer and I promise to write again soon!!!

    Emma

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

God Says You Are....

Focusing on the Truth

Counting Your Blessings